Beetles in Biodiversity Map Database
The digitization comprised the full content of 23 volumes of the part XXIII (beetles) of the Catalogus Faunae Poloniae (KFP), published by the Museum and Institute of Zoology PAN in 1971-2000. This was a starting point for further activities and the basis for the Coleoptera Poloniae database system, transformed later into the Biodiversity Map. We achieved a huge legacy source of information transformed into a digital form, given a new shape and, in some sense, a new life.
We enjoy the fact that the success of the first project of such type in the history of Polish zoology was a cooperative achievement. It was contributed by more than twenty people from around the country, scientists and amateurs. Thanks to their cooperation we did what had seemed to be unreal so far.
The digitization followed the following phases, realized by different persons and entities:
- scanning — vols. 2, 3 - oal, vol. 10 fragments - rkr, vol. 11 fragments - wje, the rest - MiIZ
- OCR processing — vols. 2, 3 - oal, vol. 10 fragments - rkr, vol. 11 fragments - wje, the rest - MiIZ
- post-OCR error correction — vols. 9, 12, 13, 14, 18 - MiIZ i UW, the rest - cooperative correction (see below)
- text transformation to the database — vols. 2 i 3 - oal, the rest - UW
- building the web application for accessing the database — UW
Click here to see a summary of the course of the digitization process.